Wednesday, July 11, 2007

A More Urban Affair

Allow me to introduce myself. I'm Cain Anderson, the co-conspirator for this blog. I'm much obliged to be invited to share my adventures with all of you.
I intend to bring you my take on life through the lens of adventure. Adventures of both a grandiose scale and of a more common nature. Adventure is proving to be more of an attitude or approach than an event, so it looks like I'll be facing down a lot of adventure.
My latest adventure has been my trip home to Wales, WI. I know Wales may not seem exceedingly exciting, but there is plenty to keep me, and in turn you, entertained.
But, I'd hate to get ahead of myself, so I'll begin where I started at 6:00 AM on July 6th (that was last Friday). Coincidentally my problems started just about then. Have you ever poured yourself a big bowl of cereal in a ravenous breakfast rage only to find out that all the milk has been wasted on everyone else's cereal? It's the same feeling you get when you forget to "shake well" the orange juice before pouring and you have a whole glass of orange tasting water that you can't justify pouring out because, well, you brought this on yourself and why should the orange juice suffer? The worst part about that feeling is that you know the rest of the OJ will be too strong because you just messed up the concentrate to water mixture like a pro. Truly heart wrenching. You can't get a good glass of the stuff until you pop the cap on the next carton. Well, missing your flight is that feeling on HGH (that's human growth hormone, the stuff that home runs are made of).
My flight was scheduled to take off at 6:00 AM, and me waking up then just didn't cut it. So after a minute or two of scrambling and freaking out while checking my flight info like it was the refrigerator to my missing milk, i decided to eat my proverbial cereal dry.
After my great roommate and his dog got me to the airport, i bid them fairwell and told them that I would be able to figure it out and that they shouldn't let it ruin their day, because I wouldn't let it ruin mine. Then, following a humbling discussion about my inability to wake up in the morning, i sat down to do some word puzzles, because nothing is more frustrating that the "easy word puzzle" books. Can anyone actually complete these? Or is this some sick joke by the failures that create these things. Too close for missiles; switching to guns, or in this case Bon Appetit.
A successful trip to the airport is defined by three things:
1. Being able to avoid the tourist traps known as news stands. You probably already predicted my utter failure at this from the last paragraph. Also bought a Golf magazine.
2. A good snack on the flight. This is critical. I do OK with the pretzels, I like peanuts more, but those cookies on Midwest Express are the definition of in-flight baller status. I fell asleep on my flight far before I could get a snack or a drink, so this flight couldn't pass this test either, although again my fault.
3. Decent conversation with the other passengers. I usually try to spark up a conversation with my fellow travelers. This time, however, I happened to notice that I was sitting next to the "annoying guy" on the plane. There is always one. If you can't find one, its you. I found him, and fell asleep. He liked to make conversation with all the people on board about the weather, and his golf game. Thinking that my magazine may offer up means for discussion, I went with the frustrating puzzles for roughly 13 seconds.

So with my flight a failure completely, I got in my Dad's truck and went home to see everybody that makes me happy. And, all of this before lunch.

I'm sure you're as tired of reading as I am of typing. I'll tell you all about after lunch and the amazing Cold Comfort Band next time.

Cain Anderson

No comments: