Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Adventure Wisconsin

Well I haven't even been here for a full day, and I already have a camera full of pictures. The ironic thing is, this is day one in Virginia, and the very first thing I have seen was all about ... Wisconsin. The USS Wisconsin, that is.

I am staying right on the water in Portsmouth, across the river from Norfolk, and decided "the other side" would be my first destination. So this morning I walked down to the riverfront in Portsmouth, paid $1 to get on a water taxi (a large ferry, pictured), and traveled across the Elizabeth River to Norfolk. It is a beautiful yet haunting sight across this river, which features a skyline filled with huge ships under construction. There are cranes everywhere, and the size of these ships is mesmerizing.

Once I reached Norfolk, I headed over to the Nauticus, which is a naval museum featuring the USS Wisconsin. Eager to get on board the large ship, which is free admission I might add, I briskly worked my way through the museum and finally stepped out on a US battleship for the first time in my life. This thing is so huge, you almost start to forget you are on a boat. The pictures I took can't even do justice to just how large this ship really is. As I worked my around the Wisconsin, my imagination started to run wild and I could begin to picture myself working the ship in its heyday. It is quite a majestic feeling hanging on to the handrails, towering over the ocean, looking down at the water below. There is almost a retired romantic feel to the whole atmosphere.

After finally tearing myself away from the USS Wisconsin, I headed inside to discover some Virginia naval history. The Nauticus museum is actually incredibly entertaining, and seemingly more "hardcore" than your regular museum. I can get easily bored at the Smithsonian's in DC, for example, as it seems their goal is simply to entertain. Here, it was clear there was no messing around. I really appreciated the dedication to history at the Nauticus. I took a few pictures of some of my favorite exhibits, which was essentially all the Civil War stuff.

I am becoming feverishly interested in the Civil War, an interest that is being fueled by a book I'm reading titled, "Confederates in the Attic." This book has changed my outlook on history, and has opened my eyes to a world of people still fighting the Civil War today. As the Civil War naval history at the Nauticus whet my appetite for more and more, I have decided that soon I need to check out some Civil War reenactments, while tracing my blood line to the "War Between the States."

This afternoon I am keeping my eye on the storms hitting the East Coast right now, which ironically are the very storms that knocked out power at home in Wisconsin the day before I flew out here. If the rain passes, I hope to take a walk through the Portsmouth Historic district (I have here a few pictures I took while just passing by), followed by a stop at the Virginia Sports Hall of Fame, also in Portsmouth. Although, regardless of the weather, tonight I'm going to see Old Crow Medicine Show at the Norva in Norfolk, which I have been looking forward to for months now...


No comments: