Sunday, July 22, 2007

2 vs 1: The James River Foot Bridge

Indescribable as jumping 50 feet into water is, here goes my best shot. After completing the near four mile hike that morning, both Mike and I were exhausted. We stopped at a gas station and picked up our victory drink as soon as we could. We drank orange soda. We got on the road for our roughly two hour drive to the bridge. There was a certain air of excitement, and trust me there had to be because both of us were drained. So after an hour of driving, I gave the wheel to Mike because I could hardly keep focused on the road. He got us there safely and we geared up for the jump.

Here is a snapshot of my thought process: Wow, that's high. I want to jump. I hope I don't chicken out. Where's my shoes? I want more orange soda. Wow, that's high. I hope the water isn't cold. I've never done anything like this. I hope we get a sweet picture. Wow, that's high...

So after keeping it cool we approached the bridge with great courage. Think Apollo 13 when they're boarding the spaceship. As we approached the jump spot, we saw a group of younger kids jumping from the bridge. We stopped to take some pictures (featured below), and continued on. After taking off the shirt, shoes, and cowardice we were standing next to our 50 ft opponent.

I looked at Mike and he asked if I wanted to start on the lower level of the bridge like these kids were doing. I told him that we would end up jumping from the top, so we should just start there. We both mounted the top beam, and got ready to roll. Took a good long look at each other and then down at our landing zone. I told Mike to count it off. 3....2....1....

Here i would like to interject and apologize for the recent use of a journalistic cliche. The slow countdown in print never really works, and really seems to be overrated. The sports version of this is Christian Laettner, Ryan Leaf, Darko Milicic, or any body else that looks great on paper but never really pans out. The countdown just doesn't seem effective unless you're the one that uses it. Sorry for the interjection, but all that to say that, like the Grizzlies and Darko, given the right situation I still believe in that little number/ellipse combination.

... In the air is an incredible feeling. There is no control to be had over the next few moments of your life. You're hitting that water weather you like it or not, but there is no time to think about any of that. All you can think is wow, I'm in the air and I'm going fast. Then there is the water and you're in it. Really a fantastic feeling to surface. There is a feeling like you just beat something. Like you're bigger than that bridge and like the river owes you something.

We spent the rest of the afternoon jumping from the bridge about 5 or 6 times and playing with a really cool rope swing (also featured below). You would run forward on this cement block under the bridge and swing out over the river on the rope. It feels like a summer movie.

The experience was something I can never forget and has wet my appetite for something bigger and more extreme. If you're ever in West Virginia and you want to test your courage, take the jump.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Mike. I just wanted to say hi and let you know that I will pretty much certainly be in D.C. around the week of the 19th. I would love to hang out for a day or so if you'll be around and able to do that...I've missed you this summer. If my family decides not to go on vacation, I might even try to go the end of the week before that and stay into that week...

but yeah. So let me know what your schedule's like around then. Love you!

Mike said...

Got it Maddie-G, will put it down on the schedule. Hope your summer picks up, it will be nice seeing you!